Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Big bedroom happenings!

I have lots of sexy updates today!  The big news is happening indoors this time, in our master bedroom and in the guest bedroom. And it's all thanks to Megan. She gave me a gift card to Lowe's for my birthday, which covered all the hardware supplies to make a new tufted headboard!  I've been wanting one for soooo long to make the bedroom look a bit more professional and less like we shoved a mattress in. I followed tutorials I found online, and it was super easy, albeit a bit time consuming. I got the fabric, batting, foam, buttons, and doll needles from Joann's. I brought two coupons I printed offline and saved $36, bringing my total cost for the headboard down to $97.

I started with a piece of plywood 36" tall and 2" wider than our queen bed, so 62".

I marked out where I wanted the buttons for the tufting and drilled holes slightly larger than my needle. I then used spray adhesive to adhere 2" thick foam to one side of the plywood.

I covered the foam with quilt batting and thick suede-y brown fabric I purchased from Joann's and stapled around the edges with my new staple gun, leaving the corner unstapled.


I pleated the corners to create nice edges and used copious amounts of staples to secure them. Then came the hard pard - the tufting. I drilled short screws into the wood next to the holes I'd previously drilled. I threaded a long doll needle with upholstery thread, and threaded it through the back side of the board. I then double wound through a button. I tied a knot at the back of the button and cut off the excess. Next, I pulled the thread on the back side as hard as I could to create the tuft and wrapped the thread around the screw to secure it. This seriously hurt my hands, so I wore winter gloves. Bright pink ones with the fingers cut off.  AWESOME.  This took as along as every other step combined. Even choosing the fabric. 


But the final result is glorious. It also complements my new bed skirt and actually makes the bed look like it has a real frame. 

Go me!  Similar item goes for $349 at West Elm.  Now I just need a cooler bedspread. The only sad thing is that I look at this picture and miss the coolness of our old bedroom, with the tall windows and crown molding.  One day I'll have it all...

I also finally started hanging pictures, beginning with the guest room as I clean up in preparation for the arrival of our guest bed. These are photographs my dad took on our trip to France after my high school graduation.

No comments:

Post a Comment