Sunday, September 4, 2011

Big garden update

I know it's been ages since I updated. The best excuse I can give for that is that big changes were happening and happening slowly. Let's take a look:

1. I have successfully cleared out 75% of the ivy from the garden, earning more bug bites than I think I ever have in my life. I WILL finish the rest by the end of the season. 

2. With the help of my uber-manly husband, I installed lattice to cover the nasty broken fence and to support the climbing roses I planted and morning glory I will plant in the spring. These plants will offer even more coverage of the nasty broken fence.

3. I transplanted plants from the old St. Paul apartment, some I bought from Lowe's, some I got from my mom for free, and some I bought off Craiglist. In the mix we have daylilies, bearded iris, echinacea (coneflower), black eyed susan, sedum autumn joy, shasta daisies, yellow climbing roses, and two butterfly bushes. 

4. I used the crazy amount of rocks to enclose the tree in the backyard. I'm starting the process of mulching underneath and filling it with shade-loving plants like hostas, liriope, and ferns. This doesn't look like a big deal from the pictures, but in actuality, that area is pretty rough. Grass won't grow because the area is too wet and shady, but weeds and ivy love it. So it definitely needs some mulch and shade plant love. 

So let's just revisit what it looked like when we moved in:


And what it looks like now:

And the tree before:

And after:

Wahooooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment