Saturday, May 28, 2011

So unsexy

I'm afraid I don't have anything sexy to write about today, but I have lots of updates.

1. We have a new HVAC system, and it is glorious. Just in time for the hot weather to appear (feels like 95!), they installed an electricity-guzzling, cold-air pumping beast of a system. Set us back $5628, but we're deducting that from our rent plus 3% interest, plus the credit card rewards points. Just to throw a wrench into my joy machine, Home Depot charged me twice. Awesome. Way to max out the credit card, Home Depot. Refund expected this week, but ZOMG did my eyes bug when I went to pay the credit card bill.

2. The dishwasher is fully functional...we think. After the month-long saga with Sears of getting the right part, we finally got our new front wiring board installed.  So we loaded up the dishes, and SPLASH!  Out squirts gushes of water from the relief valve.  Awesome. Jon, my big hunk of a man, replaced the air gap/relief valve and the clogged tubing by himself. So once again, we loaded up the dishes (which by now had started to grow mold...ew) and ran it again.  It sounded terrible, creaking and groaning, sounds I hope will disappear as the system comes back to life after months of idleness. But it ran for over an hour on the wash phase. Now it's been almost a decade since I used a dishwasher, but I am pretty sure it's not supposed to run for that long on normal wash. We ended up canceling the cycle and letting it air dry. We'll try light wash next time and see what happens. But the dishes were reeeeeeally clean.

3. My so-manly-chest-hair-burns-through-his-shirt husband also fixed our bathroom exhaust fan. Now this is about as unsexy as it gets, but he is so cool for figuring out how to do this. We couldn't find a fan unit from Home Depot which fit the hole in the ceiling and the duct work. So my man took some tin snips and cut the fan piece out of the new fan unit and installed it in the old fan mount. He damaged the first one because he didn't have my helpful small hands to hold the fan steady, but second time was the charm, and they were only $14, so not a huge loss.

With these updates, we have almost finished our list of broken items in the house. Still left to figure out are the front storm door which has a floppy handle and slams shut, the lame shower head which I hate, the closet doors which somehow all came off their tracks, and the light fixture/fan unit in our bedroom. Not bad if I do say so myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment