The garage is now empty enough to park in it! This is good because Jon keeps complaining about the neighbors parking in front of our house. I'm hoping this alleviates some of the tension if one of us can park in the garage and the other in the driveway.
And look at all the storage space for camping gear and sports equipment!
Also, let's do a before and after of the office:
Jon's office area still needs some organization, but we're moving in that direction! Feels so good!
The biggest issues we're having now are the HVAC system and dishwasher. The landlord keeps putting off getting us a new HVAC system, and Jon wants to pursue legal action (or at least threaten it). I have some sympathy for the guy because he's done a lot to the house (though you'd never know it), got screwed by whomever did the repairs, and is probably still paying it off. BUT - we need heat. It's not okay to live in a 55 degree house. Just not.
The dishwasher guy came last week and diagnosed the problem as the circuit board. $130 later, we had a new circuit board shipped to our house. Technician was supposed to come back yesterday, but of course he didn't. Jon took the dishwasher apart and installed the new board. Sadly, no luck. He thinks that there is some flexible connector between the buttons and board that is corroded. It's especially sad because I want to try to return the $130 part, and so my guess is we won't be able to if we tell them that Jon installed it, so we have to play dumb. I'm going to try to call and suggest they bring the part that we think is really broken, but you know they won't and then they'll have to order that and then install it...another two weeks of hand washing dishes. Bummer.
I found kitchen tiles in the garage as I was cleaning it out. As I learn more about the house, I really do feel bad for the landlord. The previous tenants trashed the place. I think he had the kitchen redone. Problem is, I think he did it on the cheap and hired someone incompetent so you'd never know. The caulking around the floor looks terrible and isn't there in some places. The cabinets are missing some handles and some weren't installed right. The stain job on the cabinets is disgraceful - big blurps and drips in some places and no stain in other places. And the counter top is falling apart. It's a shame because if he really did pay money to get it redone, he's never going to get it back in the sale price of the house. No one would believe that it was recently redone, and even if they did, they'd have to redo it anyways.
Not our problem though, and may mean that if we want to buy the house, we can get it for cheaper.
No comments:
Post a Comment